March 12, 2014

Yarn Along

I have so many DIY and handmade projects to do this year that I figured I'd better get a jump on some of them. If you saw my living room style board post yesterday, you know that I am crocheting my own area rug. This is a HUGE task, but I think I am up for the challenge.

Instead of doing a chevron rug, since my throw is grey and white chevron, I have decided to make yellow and white stripes. I found this rug somewhere on Pinterest and am using it as my inspiration.


The good news is I have a ton of yellow/mustard/gold yarn that I got several years ago from a family friend. 


I am so glad I can destash some of it. Yes, I have more than in this picture!

The white is actually more of a snow white than a bright white. Since I have a canvas couch, I thought the bright white would be too white.

I did a swatch last night to see how I liked the stripes.


At the time I did, but now I think I'm going to make the gold stripes a little larger and the white stripe smaller. I'm thinking 10-12 rows of yellow to 6 rows of white. Or maybe 8 rows of each. I'm still not sure, so I'll be doing another swatch tonight to see which works better.

As far as my reading, I picked up Writing the Fiction Series book at B&N. I've decided to make my book into a series, so I thought this book would really help me. While it offered some useful advice, it really wasn't that great. I am glad I used my B&N gift card on it and didn't waste my money.

Linking to Yarn Along.

 

2 comments:

  1. I love your rug idea. I totally agree that the yellow stripes will look good wider than the white. I am looking forward to seeing the end result.

    ReplyDelete

Thank you visiting my little old blog and leaving me a comment!