January 5, 2014

2014 Reading Challenge - Back to the Classics Challenge


I have been looking for a classics challenge to push me to read more classics this year, so when I found this challenge hosted by Books and Chocolate I knew I had to sign up.

As an English major, I have read quite a bit of British literature, but not much American literature. I am going to try to focus on American writers, for the most part.

Here are the categories and possibly the books I will read:

Required Categories
A 20th Century Classic - A Room with a View (1908) by E.M. Forster
A 19th Century Classic - Picture of Dorian Gray (1890) by Oscar Wilde
A Classic by a Woman Author - Little Women by Louisa May Alcott - I have put off reading this book for so long, but so many of my friends say it is the greatest book. I'm interested to see if I agree with them.
A Classic in Translation - Crime and Punishment by Fyodor Dostoyevsky
A Classic About War - ??? - I am not a fan of war books, so this will require some thought.
A Classic by an Author Who Is New To You - The Bell Jar by Sylvia Plath

Optional Categories
An American Classic - The Crucible by Arthur Miller
A Classic Mystery, Suspense or Thriller - Turn of the Screw by Henry James
A Historical Fiction Classic - The Scarlet Pimpernel by Baroness Orczy
A Classic That's Been Adapted Into a Movie or TV Series - Henry IV Part I by William Shakespeare
Write a Review of the Movie or TV Series adapted from Optional Category #4. The Hollow Crown Henry IV Part I

I am going to try to attempt all 11 categories. I might change a title or two, but this is what I am leaning towards now.

1 comment:

  1. Yes, Little Women is good. :) The Scarlet Pimpernel is one of my FAVORITE books, I've read it several times. I make myself read at least one classic every year but I'm kindof with you in that I usually end up reading something British. I did take 19th Century American Literature while I was still in school so I guess I felt like I covered that? I don't know. I remember starting A Picture of Dorian Gray and ended up having to return it to the library before I got very far. I also took Russian Literature and while I did not get to Crime and Punishment, I did read a few others by that author.

    ReplyDelete

Thank you visiting my little old blog and leaving me a comment!